Canvas support docs
Canvas became the single supported Learning Management System at Rutgers–Camden as of May, 2021.
IDT is happy to support Rutgers–Camden faculty in any teaching endeavors in Canvas. Contact us at 856 225 6090 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Below are some commonly asked questions with guides from both IDT and the Canvas Community, plus recorded webinars.
Watch a recorded webinar
- Introductory Canvas webinars, including Navigating Canvas, Assignments & Discussions, and Grades & SpeedGrader
Logging into Canvas at Rutgers
- Generally, log in from http://canvas.rutgers.edu (with your NetID and password)
- If that doesn’t work, it could mean the Rutgers ‘gateway’ to Canvas is down, but you can probably still log in from:
Tips from Rutgers-Camden IDT
- How do I request a course site at Rutgers?
- How do I control student access to my Canvas course?
- How do I modify the course menu?
- How do I add people to my Canvas site?
- How do I control my notifications from Canvas?
- How can I create a Home page in my Canvas site?
- How can I copy content from one Canvas site to another?
- How do I create sections for a large class?
- How do I enable and edit the course grading scheme?
- How do I send an announcement to students?
- How do I find my students’ email addresses? (Hint: not in Canvas!)
- How can I forward email messages to all my students? (Answer: RAMS list)
- How do I set up appointment sign-up slots using the Canvas Calendar?
Adding & editing content
- How do I create a Canvas Page and add content?
- How do I upload files, like PowerPoint, Word, PDF, etc, into Modules?
- How do I upload a document to the Syllabus tool?
- How do I use the new text editor (New RCE) in Canvas?
- How do I add a new grade column, for my in-class assignments?
- How do I download, mark, and re-upload student submissions from Assignments?
- How do I hide final course grades from students?
- How do I share a quiz with another instructor?
- Zoom in Canvas
- How do I teach with Zoom in Canvas?
- How do I configure meetings in the Rutgers Zoom portal?
- How do I share local Zoom recordings with students?
- from Rutgers Access & Disability Resources (RADR): How do I use automated live captions in Zoom?
Tips from the Canvas Community
- How do I make an announcement in a course?
- How do I list recent announcements on Home page?
- How do I create an assignment?
- How do I create a peer review assignment?
- How do I send a message to a user in a course in Conversations as an instructor?
- How do I reply to a discussion as an instructor?
- How do I upload a file to a course?
- How do I delete a file or folder as an instructor?
- How do I enter and edit grades in the Gradebook?
- How do I leave comments for students in the Gradebook?
- How do I use the People page as an instructor?
- How do I edit my profile in my user account as an instructor?
- How do I view a course using a test student?
- How do I get to SpeedGrader from an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion?
- How do I use SpeedGrader?
- How do I grade a discussion in SpeedGrader?
- How do I import course content from another Canvas course?
- How do I excuse a student from an Assignment?
- How do I allow extended time or re-takes for individual students’ in Quiz tool?
- How do I add an image to a course card in the Dashboard?
- How do I create ‘appointment groups’ in the Calendar so students can sign up for meetings? (Note: Scheduler is enabled at Rutgers.)
Still need help?
If your question isn’t answered here, you can find more Canvas tip sheets on the Canvas Instructor Guide. As always, all Rutgers–Camden faculty members and instructors are welcome to contact us at 856 225 6090 or email@example.com.