An announcement is generally the best way to send a message to all your students from Canvas. When you post an announcement, it will be available in the Canvas site (from the Announcements tool) and an email notification will be sent to all students.
>> If you would like to receive an email notification when you post a new announcement, update your notification settings BEFORE posting your first announcement.
>> Your Canvas site must be published, and must have passed its Open Date, if you want students to receive notifications or have access to the site.
Create a new announcement
- Log into https://canvas.rutgers.edu and select your course from the dashboard
- From your course site, click Announcements in the left-hand menu
- Click the blue “+Announcement” button at the top right
- Fill in the topic title and the body of your message, using the editor’s toolbar for formatting text and adding web links
- If you would like to send a document with your announcement, please use the Attachment feature:
- beneath the body of the announcement, in the Attachment section, click the “Choose File” (or Browse) button
- locate the file on your computer and click Open
- now you can see the filename you have attached
- Choose options
- Delay posting may be useful: select a future date/time when the announcement will post to your site
- Allow users to comment can turn your announcement into the catalyst for an impromptu class discussion (use the Discussion tool for more formal conversations)
- To post your new announcement, click the Save button at the bottom right: your announcement will be posted to your Canvas site, all your students should receive the text (and attachment) in an email notification, and you will too (if you have updated your Notification preferences)