The Zoom web conferencing tool has been licensed for Rutgers faculty, staff, and students since July 2020, and is integrated with our Canvas course management system.
- Compelling ideas about teaching synchronously: “Making Shapes in Zoom,” by Karen Costa
- Instructors, start here: Activate your Rutgers Zoom account
- If you receive an error message that the instructor email is invalid, you should change your default email in Canvas
- In general you will log into Zoom from within a Canvas site or from rutgers.zoom.us which are both aware of your Rutgers affiliation. If you ever need to log into your Rutgers Zoom account from zoom.us or from your local Zoom client software, you must click the SSO login button and identify your institution as Rutgers.
- As of 8/13/20, Zoom is available as a tool in Rutgers Canvas sites
- Zoom may appear on your course menus by default (you can modify your Canvas course menu for each site)
- Zoom in Canvas can be used to schedule meetings, allow easy join for students, and share Zoom recordings saved to the cloud (see “Zoom in Canvas” video below)
- If you plan to use pre-populated polls, our advice is to modify your meetings from the Rutgers Zoom portal, which allows full configuration of Zoom tools. Please note that pre-assigned breakout rooms are currently not possible through Rutgers Zoom accounts because they require that all students use Rutgers Zoom accounts which is not currently feasible.
- Zoom recording tips:
- To publish your Zoom recordings in the cloud, wait for the post-meeting email from Zoom, then go to your Canvas site, click Zoom, click the tab Cloud Recordings, and toggle the Publish button on for each recording to be shared
- Having trouble viewing your Zoom recordings in the cloud from Canvas? Feel free to share this link with students, too:
- If you have saved Zoom recordings to your local computer, you’ll need to upload those Zoom videos to Kaltura server to share with students
Intro webinar: “Teaching with Zoom”
Slideshow from the webinar:
Zoom in Canvas (5:32)
With the Zoom tool in Canvas, schedule meetings, start & join meetings, view recordings & reports
Setting up for your Zoom class (1:43)
Set up your workspace: mic, webcam, participant and chat panels, screens for sharing ready to go
Running your Zoom meeting, part 1 (2:45)
Start recording, mic & webcam options, manage participants
Running your Zoom meeting, part 2 (4:37)
Manage chat, share screens, stop recording, end meeting