Two important factors affect the availability to students of all Rutgers Canvas course sites.
- Are the site Open and Close dates correct?
- Is the site published?
At Rutgers, all Canvas courses follow our official “term dates” for availability to students (we try to get them adjusted consistently for the earlier start dates for Law). Term dates run from the first day of classes to the last day of the finals period. If you would like your students to have earlier access to your site or if you would like them to have continued access after the end of the semester, follow these instructions:
- Adjust course dates
- Log into Canvas and choose the course you wish to make available
- Choose Settings from left-hand menu
- Under Course Details tab, add an extended date in the “Starts” and/or “Ends” field
- Be sure to click “Users can only participate in the course between these dates” just under the Ends field (or the default term dates will override your input)
- Scroll to the bottom and click the “Update Course Details” button
- Now students should have access to the site between your specified dates (click the People link in the left-hand menu to confirm exactly who has access)
- Publish your Canvas course site from the Home page: