skip to main content
Home » Canvas » Kaltura: download a video from Canvas My Media

Kaltura: download a video from Canvas My Media

Posted at 1:59 p.m. May 19, 2020, by in Canvas, Kaltura

If you have uploaded videos to Kaltura, from Canvas, you may on occasion wish to download them. (Note: in general there are much better ways to share video with your students in Canvas! See How do I embed Kaltura media on a Canvas page (or announcement or assignments etc)? or How can I organize the videos in my course site’s Media Gallery?) Downloading is a last resort, because video files can be very large.

Kaltura actions menuHowever, to download:

1. from Canvas, enter My Media under Accounts, from the top of your red global navigation bar (or from the My Media tool in one of your Canvas sites)
  2. click on the video
  3. allow downloads:
    1. from the Actions menu below the video, select Edit
    2. click the Downloads tab and select which versions should become ‘downloadable’
    3. click Save button
  4. now download:
    1. after Save is complete (note: this can take a while!), click the Go To Media link just to the right of “Save”
    2. now when you click the Details tab under the video at the left, you’ll see a new option to Download (if you don’t see that, then the Save step above didn’t complete)
    3. in the Download tab you can click the icon under Actions to download any available version of your video

Kaltura Details tab  Kaltura Download option

Icons made by Madebyoliver from www.flaticon.com.