Once you’ve created a new video and uploaded it to our Kaltura streaming server, you may wish to add chapter markers. We’d recommend this for any video longer than 5 or 6 minutes. With chapters, students can quickly navigate to the spot in the video they need to review. (How-to video follows these written instructions.)
- Log into Sakai
- Select the “My Workspace” tab at the top of the page
- Click “My Media” from the left-hand toolbar; this will show all the videos you’ve uploaded to the Kaltura server
- To the right of the appropriate video, click the Edit button
- From the edit page, note new tools under your video
- click the button “Timeline” to display video timeline graphic
- Play your video, pausing at the location where you’d like to mark a chapter
- Click the Chapter icon (looks like a bookmark), add at least a title, and click Save, below
- Play your video or drag the playhead to the next spot you wish to mark; repeat chaptering process
- Be sure to Save your changes!
- If you’d like, you can now embed your video in a Sakai Lessons page (or elsewhere)
This video itself is chaptered. To see how chaptering works for your students, click the “hamburger” icon at the top left to show or hide the chapter menu. Also note that you can full-screen this video to see detail (from the double-headed arrow at the bottom right).
Note: The “hamburger” icon can be hard to see. It’s three parallel bars at the top left of the video, under the word “Adding” in the title. We recommend that you give clear instructions to your students on how to find this helpful tool.