ClassLive is the tool in eCollege that allows you to meet with your students, in real time, in an online environment. You can present with video, audio, and PowerPoint, a whiteboard, or other content from your computer. Students can ask contribute via text chat–or with audio and/or video if they have the equipment. By default, the entire session will be recorded, so students can review later.
- For immediate assistance with ClassLive in eCollege at Rutgers, call 848 260 2941.
- Additional documentation can be found from Rutgers COHLIT or Blackboard Collaborate (another name for the ClassLive product)
Considerations before starting
- If your students aren’t familiar with ClassLive, send them this Participant Get Started Guide, at least several days before your scheduled session
- You probably will need a webcam and mic (built in to most laptops)
- Preferred browser may change; current recommendation is Firefox on Windows or Mac
- If you haven’t used ClassLive recently…. You must have Java (helper software) installed and configured:
- From Firefox, check your Java version
- If necessary, update or install Java software from the same webpage [WARNING: during install, Java may try to install Yahoo toolbar. Do not agree to this!]
- You must now configure your computer to open .ed files with Java (this is a pain in the neck, but you just have to do it once)
Starting a ClassLive session
Start setting up at least 15 minutes before your session is scheduled for students; log into eCollege and enter your course site.
- From the toolbar along the top, click the “Live” tab
- Choose the “ClassLive” button towards the top of the page
- Click the “Lead Session” button (wait for small file to download, for Java to launch, for ClassLive session to open–click Run for Blackboard app)
- You’ll probably want to turn OFF the automatic recording while you’re setting up (top-right corner)
- Run the “audio setup wizard” each time you prepare to lead a session (make sure the correct ‘speakers’ or ‘headphones’ is selected)
- Allow simultaneous speakers: Tools menu, Audio, Maximum Simultaneous Users
- If you’re presenting with PowerPoint, you can upload the file now (may take a few minutes) from the “Load Content” button at the top right
- Click the Video button in the top-left panel to start your webcam (if desired)
- Click the Talk button under your video to start your mic
- Re-start the session recording, if you like, from the top-right corner
- Wait for your students to log in and appear in the Participants list… and start your lesson!
- When the session is complete, close it by choosing Exit from the File menu