Kaltura is a video-streaming service at Rutgers, integrated into Canvas. It could be compared to a private YouTube for Rutgers. Faculty, you can upload videos you’ve made previously, then share them with links or by embedding in a course page. Kaltura also includes tools to create new videos and presentations including combinations of webcam video, audio, slideshows, and screencasts.
IMPORTANT: don’t use these instructions if you want to share video with students in Canvas! Return to Multimedia support.
Log into Kaltura MediaSpace
- Point your browser to: https://mediaspace.rutgers.edu/
- In the top-right corner, click the Guest drop-down menu and select Login
- From the Rutgers CAS sign-in page, log in with your NetID and password
Upload existing video (from your computer)
Be careful to respect copyright laws. Contact your Rutgers librarian if you’re not sure.
- From the “+ Create” button, select Upload
- Click the button “Choose a file to upload”
- Browse to find and select the video (or just audio) file on your computer
- Wait until the Upload Media page displays the message “Upload completed”
- Complete the short form for details about the file:
- Name of video is required
- Click Save button
- Click link to “Go to My Media”
Create new recording
- record from webcam
- record a presentation (narrated slideshow or screencast, with optional floating webcam video)
Share a video
- To see all your videos, click My Media from your name in the top-right corner. It is also a tab in the top index bar.
- Click on the video you wish to share
- Under the video, at the right, click the Actions drop-down and select Publish
- Select Unlisted and click the Save button
- After saving with publishing status “unlisted,” select the Share tab to either:
- To send a link to the video: click “Link to media page” tab, click in URL (web address), copy and paste it into your message
- To embed your video in a web site, click the “Embed” tab, click in embed code, copy and paste into your web editor.