Kaltura is a video-streaming service at Rutgers, integrated into Canvas and Sakai. It could be compared to a private YouTube for Rutgers. Faculty, you can upload videos you’ve made previously, then share them with links or by embedding in a course page. Kaltura also includes tools to create new videos and presentations including combinations of webcam video, audio, slideshows, and screencasts.
IMPORTANT: don’t use these instructions if you want to share video with students in Canvas or Sakai site! Return to Multimedia support.
Log into Kaltura MediaSpace
- Point your browser to: https://mediaspace.rutgers.edu/ (Note if you have uploaded videos previously through Sakai or Blackboard, they will be here: https://ru-stream.rutgers.edu/)
- In the top-right corner, click the “Guest” drop-down menu and select “Login”
- From the Rutgers CAS sign-in page, log in with your NetID and password
- If your faculty account is working, you’ll now see an “Add New” menu to the left of your name at the top right (if not, contact IDT at (856) 225-6090 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Upload existing video (from your computer)
Be careful to respect copyright laws. Contact your Rutgers librarian if you’re not sure.
- From the “Add New” menu, select Video Upload
- Click the button “Choose a file to upload”
- Browse to find and select the video (or just audio) file on your computer
- Wait until the Upload Media page displays the message “Upload completed”
- Complete the short form for details about the file:
- Name of video is required
- Description and tags are only required if file may be published for wide-spread sharing
- Visibility defaults to “Private”; change to “Unlisted” to share with students, but not the public (note: you can always change these settings later)
- Click Save button
- Click link to “Go to My Media”
Create new recording
- record from webcam
- record a presentation (narrated slideshow or screencast, with optional floating webcam video)
- To see all your videos, click My Media from your name in the top-right corner
- Click on the video you wish to share
- Under the video, at the right, click the Actions drop-down and select Publish
- Select Unlisted and click the Save button
- After saving with publishing status “unlisted,” select the Share tab to either:
- To send a link to the video: click “Link to media page” tab, click in URL (web address), copy and paste it into your message
- To embed your video in a web site, click the “Embed” tab, click in embed code, copy and paste into your web editor.