Create an annotated student assignment
If you have a document (such as a map, diagram, or any other type of worksheet) that you’d like your students to be able to annotate and turn in online, the ‘Student Annotation’ type submission in Canvas may be a great fit! This feature allows students to easily annotate or markup a document of the instructor’s choosing and turn it in directly via Canvas.
Follow the step-by-step guide below, or watch the quick video tutorial to review the process of creating a student annotation submission and to see what a finalized annotation assignment looks like from the students’ perspective.
- (From Assignments) Click ‘+Assignment’ to add a new assignment. OR (From Modules) Click the ‘+’ icon in the top-right of the module where you’d like the assignment to appear, select ‘Add assignment’, ‘Create assignment’ and then ‘Add item.’
- Click on the title of the newly created assignment and select ‘Edit.’
- Add any relevant instructions that you would like students to see before they begin annotating the document you share with them.
- Change the ‘Submission type’ to ‘Online’ and then check the box for ‘Student annotation.’
- Select the file you’d like them to annotate by either selecting a previously uploaded document, or select ‘Upload file’ to upload a new file.
- Finish updating the other Canvas assignment settings (such as point value, due date, number of submission attempts, etc.)
- Click ‘Save and publish.’