FlipGrid is a multimedia discussion tool that allows users to record snippets of video and share them with the class. You can integrate this tool into your Canvas site by following the directions below.
To create FlipGrid account and add integration to Canvas
- Create a FlipGrid account using your Scarletmail account so you can integrate with your Rutgers Canvas sites. Note that you may need to activate Scarletmail if you have never used it. Instructions can be found here.
- Go to https://flipgrid.com
- Click “Educator Signup” button at top right
REMEMBER YOU MUST USE SCARLETMAIL ACCOUNT (see above)
- Click “Sign up with Google” button and enter your information, then click “Let’s Go” to create FlipGrid account.
- Once you’ve created your FlipGrid account and logged in, click on your name from the top-right corner and select ‘Integrations.’
- Click on ‘Add new integration’
- Enter an integration name (suggested – use your course name/semester) and click ‘Create.’
- FlipGrid will generate a ‘Consumer Key’ and a ‘Shared Secret’. You will need these two codes to integrate the app into Canvas.
- In your Canvas course site, scroll down to click ‘Settings.’
- From Settings, click ‘Apps.’
- In the field ‘Filter by name;’, type ‘FlipGrid’ and click on the icon when it appears.
- Click ‘Add App’ and copy/paste the consumer key and shared secret into the empty text fields as prompted.
- Click on ‘Add App’ to finish.
To create a FlipGrid Assignment in Canvas
- In your Canvas site, click on’Assignments’
- Click on the ‘+Assignment’ button
- Enter a title for your assignment. You can also add general assignment instructions in the text editor box.
- Scroll down to the assignment settings and enter a point value if assignment is graded.
- Scroll down to ‘Submission Type’ and click the dropdown menu to change the submission type to ‘External Tool.’
- Click on ‘Find’ and scroll down the list of tools to find FlipGrid.
- Click ‘Save and Publish’.
- Note that after saving your first FlipGrid assignment in Canvas, you will be prompted to finish connecting FlipGrid to your course site by clicking ‘Create a Course Grid.’
- Your assignment has now been created. You can add a video of your own to the FlipGrid if you’d like by clicking ‘Record.’ You can alter the specific FlipGrid topic settings by clicking the pencil icon at the top of your topic page.
Grading FlipGrid assignments
When students add videos to the FlipGrid assignment as outlined above, you will be able to view them, grade and enter comments through SpeedGrader.