Flip is a multimedia discussion tool that allows users to record snippets of video and share them with the class. You can integrate this tool into your Canvas site by following the directions below.
To create Flip account and add integration to Canvas
- Create a Flip account using your Scarletmail account so you can integrate with your Rutgers Canvas sites. Note that you may need to activate Scarletmail if you have never used it. Instructions can be found here.
- Go to https://flip.com
- Click “Educator Signup” button at top right
REMEMBER YOU MUST USE SCARLETMAIL ACCOUNT (see above)
- Click “Sign up with Google” button and enter your information, then click “Let’s Go” to create Flip account.
- Once you’ve created your Flip account and logged in, click on your name from the top-right corner, then click ‘Settings.’
- Select ‘Integrations.’
- Click on ‘Add new integration’
- Enter an integration name (suggested – use your course name/semester) and click ‘Create.’
- Flip will generate a ‘Consumer Key’ and a ‘Shared Secret’. You will need these two codes to integrate the app into Canvas.
- In your Canvas course site, scroll down to click ‘Settings.’
- From Settings, click ‘Apps.’
- In the field ‘Filter by name;’, type ‘Flip’ and click on the icon when it appears.
- Click ‘Add App’ and copy/paste the consumer key and shared secret into the empty text fields as prompted.
- Click on ‘Add App’ to finish.
To create a Flip Assignment in Canvas
- In your Canvas site, click on’Assignments’
- Click on the ‘+Assignment’ button
- Enter a title for your assignment. You can also add general assignment instructions in the text editor box.
- Scroll down to the assignment settings and enter a point value if assignment is graded.
- Scroll down to ‘Submission Type’ and click the dropdown menu to change the submission type to ‘External Tool.’
- Click on ‘Find’ and scroll down the list of tools to find Flip.
- Click ‘Save and Publish’.
- Note that after saving your first Flip assignment in Canvas, you will be prompted to finish connecting Flip to your course site by clicking ‘Create a Course Grid.’
- Your assignment has now been created. You can add a video of your own to the Flip if you’d like by clicking ‘Record.’ You can alter the specific Flip topic settings by clicking the pencil icon at the top of your topic page.
Grading Flip assignments
When students add videos to the Flip assignment as outlined above, you will be able to view them, grade and enter comments through SpeedGrader.