Sakai: Tests & Quizzes – create makeup
If you wish to allow a student, or small group of students, another chance to take an online test or quiz, you must modify a duplicate of the original assessment.
- log into Sakai with your Rutgers NetID and password at http://sakai.rutgers.edu
- click on the course tab across the top
Create student “makeup” group
- click the Site Info tool on the left
- click the “Manage Groups” button along the top
- click the “Create New Group” button at the top
- give the new student group a Title (e.g., “makeupQ3”)
- select the student(s) who required extended time from the “Site Member List” and click the “>” arrow to move the student(s) into the “Group Member List”
- When “Group Member List” includes all students allowed to re-take, click the “Add” button at the bottom of the page
Create new version of quiz
NOTE: You should have the main version of the quiz published, with questions and settings complete. You will duplicate this quiz and change some settings for the makeup.
- click the Tests & Quizzes tool on the left
- under “Working Copies” tab, find the quiz to copy, then from the “Select Action” drop-down menu, choose “Duplicate”
- on confirmation page, click “Duplicate” button
- find the new quiz (generally the original quiz name plus ‘copy #1’) and from the “Select Action” drop-down menu, choose “Settings”
- In most cases, you will need to change FOUR settings
- under “Assessment Introduction,” change title to <original title>- makeup (e.g., “Quiz 1 – makeup”)
- under “Assessment Released To,” choose “Selected groups” and check the student group you created above (e.g., “makeup”)
- under “Due Date,” select the new due date
- under “Grading,” choose “Do not link this test with gradebook” and update Feedback release date if necessary
- click button “Save Settings & Publish”
- IMPORTANT! Final step: from the Publish Assessment page, click the Publish button (generally ‘without notification’), then confirm that your new quiz version appears under the Tests & Quizzes “Published Copies” tab
- Only the student(s) in the new group can see this new quiz. They must access it through the Tests & Quizzes link in the left-hand menu (not from a weekly Lessons page). You should send the students specific instructions on how to access the quiz and what their new due date is.
- Grading. For the Gradebook to calculate properly, it must see all the students grades attached to the ORIGINAL quiz. After the new quizzes are graded, you should transcribe the “makeup” students’ scores to the original quiz. To do this, record the students’ scores from the “makeup” quiz (from Published Copies tab, choose “Scores” from Select Action menu). Next, also from the Published Copies tab, choose “Scores” for the ORIGINAL quiz. Find the student(s) from the ‘makeup’ group and record their scores in the ‘adjustment’ box; click Update.