There are a number of tools that allow you to communicate with students in Sakai, depending on what you’d like to do.
- The Messages tool allows you to privately communicate with students much like email would; you can send a message to one student, a group of students, or to the entire class. There is an inbox and sent box, so a record of all communication is stored in Sakai.
- Using the Announcements is the easiest way to send a message to the entire class and keep it visible in the course. These messages can be emailed (make sure to change “Email Notification” option to “High” before posting!) and will also display on the homepage of your Sakai site. You can also draft Announcements and schedule them to post in in the future. Students cannot reply to Announcements.
Grading and providing feedback
Use the videos and instructions below to assist you in using Sakai in the most efficient way possible.
Responding to & grading discussions
Note this video has 3 chapters: Navigating discussions, reading & responding to discussions, and grading discussions. You can jump to/navigate to each chapter by clicking on the hamburger icon (the 3 horizontal stacked lines) in the upper left hand corner of the video to expand chapter choices. To re-collapse the chapter choices, click on the icon again.
Steps to respond to & grade discussions
- Go to Forums in your Sakai site.To the right of the discussion topic you’d like to grade, click the “More” button, then choose “Grade.”
- Click on each student’s name to review all of their posts and replies in the discussion.
- Close the pop-up window to return to the screen in which you can input grades.
- Input the students’ score in the second to last column. If you want to give the student private feedback, you can also click “Show Comments” at the top of the last column to reveal a commenting box.
- When you’re finished, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Submit Grades” in the lower right-hand corner.
Grading & giving feedback on assignments
Steps to grade & give feedback on assignments
- Click on the Assignments tool in the lefthand menu of your Sakai site.
- Click the Grade button beneath the assignment name which you’d like to grade.
- Click on a student name to begin reviewing submissions and entering grades.
- To review a submission and grade/provide feedback:
- The student submission should either appear under “Assignment Submission” or “Submitted attachments.” If the student has submitted an attachment, click on the attachment to download the file and review it on your computer; then, return to Sakai.
- Enter the score in the Grade: text box.
- Input any comments/feedback for the student in the “Instructor Summary Comments” area. These are private to the student who submitted the assignment.
- Below the “Instructor Summary Comments” box, there is also an area to upload a file: “Attachments to return with grade.” This is useful if you’ve used the Review/Comment feature in Microsoft Word to add comments to a writing assignment.
- Choose “Save and Don’t Release to Student” or “Save and Release to Student” before clicking the “Next ungraded” button in the lower righthand corner. (Note that if you choose “Save and Don’t Release…” but have released the grade in the gradebook, the score will still be available to students.)
- When you’ve finished grading all submissions, click the “Return to List” button. From this page, you can easily release all grades/feedback using the “Release Grades” button (see image to left). You can also quickly assign 0s to those without submissions using the “Assign this grade to participants without a grade:” feature.