Sakai: Renaming & adding multiple Lessons pages
Many instructors rename and add more than one Lessons page so they can organize their content by chapter, unit, dates, etc. Examples of Lessons page names might include:
- Chapter 1 (or its descriptive title)
- Unit 1 (or its descriptive title)
- Week 1
- Course videos
Lessons page names typically display better if they are shorter, so if your descriptive chapter/unit titles are long, it may be better to use numbers as your Lessons page names.
Renaming Lessons pages
The tool “Lessons” isn’t very descriptive, and if you add more than one page, you’re going to have to use more descriptive terms so students know what they are clicking on.
Once you’ve added the Lessons tool to your Sakai site, it will appear in the left-hand menu of the site. To rename it:
- Click on the Lessons tool in the left-hand menu.
- Click on the cog icon in the upper right hand corner of the Lessons page (to the right of the Permissions button).
- Delete the word “Lessons” in the Page Title text area.
- Type in the new title of your Lessons page.
- Click save.
Adding multiple Lessons pages
Depending on how you want to organize your course content, it may be helpful to add multiple instances of the Lessons page. To do so, click on your Lessons page in the left-hand menu (you may need to look for whatever you have renamed it instead of Lessons- the Lessons page will always have an open book icon next to its name).
- From the Lessons page, click the “More tools” menu from the top left corner.
- Click “Add more pages”
- Input the title of the page you would like to name the new Lessons page
- Indicate how many new Lessons pages you would like (leave blank if only one)
- Click save.
Note: If you name the new lessons page something with a number- eg, Week 1, Chapter 1, etc. and you create multiple Lessons pages, Sakai will number them appropriately. For instance, if you name your new Lessons page Week 1, and you indicate you want 5 new Lessons pages, Sakai will create 5 Lessons pages titled Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, and Week 5.