Sakai: Disabling video downloads on Lessons pages
In Sakai, you can upload or embed videos into Lessons pages. When you upload your own video, above the video, a “Download file” link appears. This enables students to download the video file to their own computer (thus giving them the capability to edit, redistribute, etc). Some instructors do not want students to be able to download the file; instead, they want the students to be able to watch the video only while logged into their Sakai site.
In order to disable a student from downloading a video embedded in your Sakai Lessons pages, 2 steps must be taken: disabling it on the Lessons page itself (this gets rid of the “Download file” link), and hiding the video in Resources.
Disabling the “Download file” link from showing
After uploading your video, while on your Lessons page in Sakai:
- Click on the cog icon in the upper right hand corner of the Lessons page
- A small window will appear that allows you to edit the title of the Lessons page and permissions
- At the bottom of the window, a check box with the text “Don’t show download links for embedded videos, etc. (This setting applies to all pages in this site.)” Select this option.
- Click save.
Once you have completed this step for one Lessons page, it will apply to all videos in that Sakai site. You do not need to repeat it for other Lessons pages in that site; however, you will need to do so in Sakai sites for other courses.
Hiding the video in the Resources tool
If you have the Resources tool enabled (you will see it in the left-hand menu), any content added to Lessons pages are automatically uploaded to Resources. A new sub-folder will be created in Resources for each Lessons page to which you upload content. These subfolders will contain the content added to Lessons pages from the “Embed Content on Page” and “Add Content Link” options (found in the “Add Content” drop down menu on Lessons pages).
Therefore, if you upload a video to the content page, students can access it and download it from the Resources tool, even if the “Download file” link does not appear above the video. After completing the steps listed above, you must hide the video in Resources to make it inaccessible for student download.
- Click on the Resources tool, in the left-hand menu of your Sakai site.
- Click the folder of the Lessons page to which you have added a video- it should expand to show the files added to that Lessons page
- You should see the video you have added to the Lessons page in this list
- To the right of the video file name you should see an “Actions” drop down menu. Click this.
- Click “Edit details” from the menu.
- The very last option under Availability and Access is “Hide this item.” Select this choice.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Update button.
- Your video file in the Resources folder should now appear grayed out, which indicates it is hidden from other users.