Sakai: Setting up the Gradebook
Setting up the Gradebook in Sakai requires two separate pieces, for most instructors: setting up categories, and inputting assignments. The video below will introduce how to set up weighting different categories in your course site. After viewing the video, follow the instructions below to add individual assignments.
Note that some of the options in setting up the Gradebook can be confusing or unclear (whether to choose points vs. percentages, for example). If you’re unsure of how to set up your Gradebook, give us a call— we can help you over the phone or set up an appointment in person to discuss your set up.
Gradebook Setup: Categories & Weighting
If your grading structure looks similar to this, watch the video below:
- Quizzes: 15%
- Midterm/Final: 60%
- Papers: 25%
Adding “Gradebook Items” (Individual assignments)
You will need to complete this even if you only have one assignment in a given category. You cannot give Sakai’s Gradebook categories a grade; you can only give “Gradebook Items,” which are individual assignments, a grade.
- While in your Sakai site, navigate to Gradebook in the left-hand menu.
- Click the “Add Gradebook Items” button.
- Input the assignment title (Chapter 1 Paper, Midterm, etc)
- Input the number of points the assignment is worth (usually out of 100).
- Input a due date if you would like; this is optional.
- Choose the appropriate category under which the assignment falls from the drop-down menu.
- Check off the radio box “Include this item in course grade calculations.”
- You can either “Add another Gradebook item” if you would like to add more assignments, or click Save.