Sakai: Add Syllabus
Sakai allows several different ways to post a syllabus; this section explains the most commonly-used method: simply uploading your syllabus, previously created as a Word document. Before beginning the process, you should confirm (in Word) that your syllabus is correct and named appropriately. The students will see the actual filename, so “English 101 Syllabus, spring 2014.docx” might be a better filename than “emily syl with new exam sched from bob 2.doc.” While in your Sakai site:
- choose Syllabus from the left-hand menu, then click the “Add Item” button at the top
- a box will appear and ask for a title- enter something descriptive such as “Syllabus”
- you can leave the larger “Content” box blank
- click the “Add and publish” button
- now, you should see an option to “Add attachments”
- click the link “Add attachments”
- next to “Upload local file,” click the “Browse” button
- navigate through your computer until you locate the appropriate file for upload
- click “Continue”; your syllabus will appear underneath of the title that you entered earlier.
- if you want to copy and paste your syllabus from your document so the text displays on the page, you can click the red text “Click to add body text” above the document you just uploaded.
- a box will appear. Paste your syllabus into the text area that says “Click to add body text” (you’ll have to delete this text)
- click the checkmark in the bottom left corner of the box when you are finished to save
- if you want to see what it looks like for the student, click the “Enter Student View” gray button in the upper right corner (under the Logout button). If you do this, though, make sure to click “Exit Student View” when you’re done.